India’s economic growth slowed to the lowest in a year in the first three months of 2022, hit by weakening consumer demand amid soaring prices that could make the central bank’s task of taming inflation without harming growth more difficult. RBI has raised its inflation forecast to 6.7 per cent for the financial year 2022-23 from an earlierestimate of 5.7 per cent. Consumer Price Index (CPI) based inflation, which the RBI factors in while arriving at its monetary policy, galloped for the seventh straight month to touch an 8-year high of 7.79 per cent in April. The RBI raised the interest rate by 50 basis points to a two-year high of 4.9 per cent as it doubled down to tame inflation that has surged in the last couple of months.
Let’s talk policy is a series of discussions by Kautilya School of Public Policy, that brings together speakers and experts from various fields. Here they share insights on national and global issues and build a conversation for the student community. Up for discussion are major themes around democracy, politics and human rights Up fordiscussion are major themes around democracy, politics and human rights
What will be discussed?
- Legislation regarding the prevention of stagflation
- Frameworks for steps to be taken by the RBI to tackle inflation
- Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war on the economy
- The card tokenisation policy that is to be implemented
- Monitoring bodies to keep track of the economy and its state on a day-to-day basis
- Public initiatives and concerns about the falling cryptocurrency markets
Who should attend?
- Young Indians who are committed to bringing about change and building India
- Those aspiring to build a career in public policy, public administration, social sector, journalism & mass communications, and other related fields.
- Academicians, researchers, journalists, & professionals working in or following the fields mentioned above.
- Economists, investors, business owners and everyone wishing to get a grip on the current scenario of the economy and the new policies that are to be implemented.